Steinernema feltiae. Exhibitline Sf biological control agent contains the insect pathogenic nematode, Steinernema feltiae, as infective juveniles. It helps control fungus gnat larvae and Western Flower thrips on ornamental plants.
EXHIBITLINE – TRAY – 50 MILLION NEMATODES – STEINERNEMA FELTIAE – FUNGUS GNAT/LEAF MINER CONTROLSKU: GA1040313
- Provides up to 6 weeks protection from fungus gnat larvae.
- Steinernema feltiae also attack thrips pupae in soil.
- Kills adults and larva of thrips.
- Also attacks leafminers in leaves.
- Simple and safe to use, feltiae occurs naturally in soils.
- Contact with dip/application solution is critical for efficacy.
- Increased efficacy on thrips adults and larva on foliage have been observed if crop stays wet longer.
- Best time of application in the evening just prior to sunset or on cloudy rainy day.
- Fungus gnats
- Western Flower thrips
- Onion thrips
Harmless to the ornamental crops, humans, the environment and other beneficial insects, these nematodes actively seek out fungus gnat larvae by swimming in the thin film of water on soil particles. They locate hosts by detecting carbon dioxide and other waste products. After locating pest larvae, nematodes invade through natural body openings and inject bacteria into the insect. Bacteria develop within the insect and it dies of septicemia.
Under optimum conditions, the insect can die within 12-24 hours. Insect mortality will depend on the environmental temperature. The minimum soil temperature should be 14°C / 57°F for nematodes to work most efficiently and the maximum soil temperature should be no more than 30°C / 85°F.
Exhibitline is available in units of 50 million entomopathogenic Steinernema feltiae nematodes in an inert carrier in sealed trays.
Instructions for use
The nematode activity is affected by soil temperature. For optimum nematode activity the soil temperature should be between 14ºC / 57ºF and 25ºC / 85ºF. The nematodes will remain active at temperatures below 14ºC /57ºF, but the associated bacteria will not function until the temperature rises above this threshold. Soil temperatures above 30ºC / 86º are harmful to S. feltiae. Use at 7-14 day intervals. Growing media pH must be between 3 and 8 and should be moist before and after application.
- Mix one 50 million pack per 30-50 gal/1,000ft2(115-190l/100m2).
- Empty packs into a large bucket, then add water (water temperature approximately 70°F/21°C), and mix thoroughly.
- Rinse bucket contents into sprayer tank using the standard spray tank sieve.
- Add the required volume of additional water to the sprayer. Continually agitate contents of spray tank during application. Maintain this until spraying is completed.
- Once nematodes have been mixed with water, use immediately.
- Effectiveness may be improved by adding a wetting agent.
- Apply in high humidity conditions for foliar applications.
- Nozzle opening at least one millimeter.
- Remove all fine filters (less than one millimeter), including those in the nozzles, from the sprayer. Remove filters in spray system.
- Use a large droplet to provide a coarse spray pattern.
- For ornamentals under cover, spray onto growing media around plant roots.
- After growing media application, the treated area should be lightly irrigated from above to wash the nematodes into the growing media. Do not soak the growing media causing the nematodes to wash out of the pots.
- Never let the tray warm up.
- Immediately move them from the shipping box to a refrigerator.
For fungus gnat larvae:
Apply 50 million/1,100ft2 (100m2) to 250 million/5,500ft2 (500m2). When fungus gnats are a problem, Exhibitline should be applied every 2-6 weeks.
- For best results, treat entire greenhouse or plant inventory as soon as fungus gnats are seen. If fungus gnats are established, it may be 2-3 weeks before the number of adults is noticeably reduced.
For Western Flower thrips:
- Soil application – 50 million/2000ft2(200m2) to 250 million/5,500ft2 (1000m2).
- Foliage application – 50 million/1,100ft2(400m2) to 250 million/11,000ft2 (1,020m2).
- Un-rooted cutting or rooted cutting dip – 50 million/13 gallons of dipping solution.
Storage and transport
- Store Exhibitline in a refrigerator (5ºC / 41°F). Do not freeze.
- Check expiration date on pack and use before they expire.
- Do not put the container in direct sunlight.
- Upon receipt remove outer packaging and ensure good air circulation around each pack.
- Use entire package contents at one time. Do not subdivide packs because each contains a measured dose of nematodes