If you’re looking for a winter-blooming houseplant, an amaryllis is an excellent choice and will add splash of colour to your indoor space. Amaryllis have thick tall stems, and big bold flowers. Some think of amaryllis as a festive flower, but you can enjoy your amaryllis anytime from late fall to spring.
How to Grow an Amaryllis.
1. Plant your amaryllis bulb 6 to 8 weeks before you’d like them to bloom.
2. Use a pot a little bigger than the bulb. Cover 2/3’s of the bulb with potting soil. Leave the upper 1/3 uncovered.
3. Water your amaryllis from the top. Keep the soil moist but not so wet that the water collects in the saucers.
4. Feed your amaryllis with any choice of houseplant fertilizer every 10 days as it grows.
5. Once your amaryllis begins to flower you can make the blooms last longer by moving it to a cooler spot in your house.