WEST COAST SEEDS TOMATO SUGARY
- The tomatoes are oval in shape with pointed ends, typically weighing 16 grams (1/2oz). Averaging 9.5 on the Brix sweetness scale, fruits have excellent flavour, are medium firm and experience minimal cracking.
- Plants grown from Sugary Tomato seeds grow vigorously and may require mid-season pruning for containment within a given area.
- Semi-determinate (compact bush) (Hybrid seeds)
- Matures in 60-65 days
Growing Tomato Seeds
- Start indoors in early spring over bottom heat. When seedlings germinate, remove from the heat and grow under bright lights.
- Grow seedlings on for 6-8 weeks at around 10°C (50°F).
- Early season tomatoes can be planted out once night time temperatures are reliably above 7°C (45°F) – or later. Other types should be transplanted out when night time lows are 10°C (50°F) or warmer – or later.
- Optimal soil temperature for germination: 25-35°C (68-95°F). With bottom heat seeds should germinate in 7-14 days.
Companion Planting For Tomatoes
- A sensitive plant when it comes to companions, tomatoes benefit from asparagus, basil, beans, borage, carrots, celery, chives, collards, cucumber, garlic, lettuce, marigold, mint, nasturtium, onion, parsley, and peppers.
- Avoid planting alongside Brassicas and dill. Corn will attract tomato pests, and kohlrabi will stunt tomatoes' growth. Potatoes may spread blight to tomatoes, so keep them apart. Do no plant tomatoes near walnut trees.
- Harvest when the fruit is the desired colour. Green tomatoes can be ripened indoors at a cool temperature when they are blemish free. Very dark green tomatoes are unlikely to ripen fully.